The Bowling Championship is the third story in Volume 1.
It continues the central story arcs of the rise of Billy's archenemy - "The Editor", as well as Billy and Jean's ongoing "will they/won't they?" relationship.
It is also the first story to take place after Part I of the series' 'Bite-Sized Bits!', as the short 'Master Planner' leads directly into this story.
Billy, Jean and Ryan are all tired - overloaded with the stresses of daily life, they band together in search of a change to cure their exhaustion:
The answer comes to them in the form of the local Bowling Alley in Cheston Village, and Ryan soon leads the charge in a tournament that quickly leads to matters of the heart.
TO BE WRITTEN.
- Chapter One: The Food Man in Action
- Chapter Two: Overworked
- Chapter Three: "Heading for Good-Time City!"
- Chapter Four: Night at the Bowling Alley
- Chapter Five: When Worse Comes to Worst
- Chapter Six: Practice Makes Perfect
- Chapter Seven: Dinner With the Girl Next-Door
- Chapter Eight: "Let Battle Commence..."
- Chapter Nine: Bowled Out
- Chapter Ten: Winners and Losers
- William "Billy" Butterbread III
- Ryan Thompson
- Jean Phelps
- PC Janet Worthing
- Mister Snoutnose
- Adam Bowler
- Martin Matthews
- Charlie Johnson
- Carys Anderson
- Nancy Blight
- "Pinhead" Tyson Philips
- Rufus McCoy
- "Ditzy" Dilys Duckworth
- Abby Jennings
- Marcus Boyd
- "The Editor" (mentioned only)
- Mayor Greg Jameson (mentioned only)
- "Skinny" Flint Perry (mentioned only)
- Kevin Curry (mentioned only)
- Ed Case (mentioned only)
- Mrs Dewsbury (mentioned only)
- This story marks the first full appearances of Jean's friends, Carys Anderson and Nancy Blight, who were unseen and mentioned respectively in Chapter Two of 'The Beginning'.
- Billy's pep talk to Ryan in Chapter Eight is reminiscent of Jean giving the former a reality check - a deliberate throwback to 'The Beginning' - even going as far as to paraphrase her (almost) word-for-word in one instance, with both saying - "...if you DO sit there, on your trouser-wearing backside, feeling this sorry for yourself – without EVER getting up – then you’re not giving yourself much to live for - are you?".
- This story is the first to include hand-drawn images in every chapter - as well as the first to feature them in colour.