About the Introduction
"Welcome to Cheston Village!" is the introduction to Volume 1 of The Adventures of Billy Butterbread; it it
written from the perspective of Angus McCall, M.D. (retired) - the chief librarian in Cheston Village, who sets the scene for viewers before reading 'The Beginning' - in which several of the series' characters make their full debut, having been aforementioned in this passage.
- William "Billy" Butterbread III (mentioned)
- Angus McCall, M.D. (retired; Narrator - unseen)
- Alistair Rotherham (mentioned)
- Several of Billy's cases - including 'The Food Festival' - are mentioned by McCall. Other cases mentioned are 'The Adventure of the Bread Circle', and 'The Case of the "Cereal" Killer'.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's famous characters, Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson, are referred to as well; indeed, 'The Adventure of the Bread Circle' is a play on one of Doyle's stories - 'The Adventure of the Red Circle'.
- The exact location of Cheston Village is revealed during the passage.